Get Involved with the Amgen Women’s Race!
Mark your calendars and come check out this world class event Friday, May 12, 2017. “We’re thrilled to announce the Amgen Breakaway from Heart Disease ™ Women’s Race empowered with SRAM cycling competition will include Carson Valley this year” stated Jan Vandermade (Executive Director with the Carson Valley Visitors Authority). On this entirely new route, the world’s top female athletes will tackle a 67.1-mile course including State Route 89 over Luther Pass (the highest peak attempted in race history). The route further descends through Hope Valley, then heads west through Carson Valley on Foothill Road. The entire race could be won or lost while trekking up the race’s steepest climb – Kingsbury Grade – and finally a swift winding descent back to South Lake Tahoe!
The Carson Valley Visitors Authority is a participating sponsor for Stage 2 this year working alongside the Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority, leading to a natural synergy between the lake and valley. Quality exposure for our destination will be generated through press, social media and other travel/news sources.
There are several ways for you to consider getting involved.
- Volunteers – volunteers are needed to help out along the race route.
- Track side energy – spectators are encouraged along the route (Kingsbury will likely be where the race is either won or lost and a great spot to watch).
- Special event tied to race – if you’re part of a social club or other non profit group, consider organizing a separate bike oriented event around the same time frame to draw more attention to the great ride possibilities in our valley and to tie in with the bigger news and promotion being generated by AMGEN and the race organizers AEG.
- Presentation – With advance notice (and subject to availability), one or more of the competitors may be available to come and speak to an assembly/group (within the week prior as they come to scout out the course).
- Other ideas – any other creative activities and tie-ins are welcome.
If you’d like to volunteer to help out during Stage 2 or if you have other event related ideas you’d like to discuss, please contact Jan Vandermade. Visit Carson Valley Visitors Office – 775.782.8145.