5 Reasons to Get Out of Your Car in December
Want to get the most out of this cooler season? We thought so! Read on for the top five reasons to drive to, and not through, Carson Valley this December.
1. All in the same day – Adventure between the best of both worlds with the Golf by Morning Ski by Afternoon itinerary. Fuel up for an epic day with breakfast at Cowboy’s Cafe in Minden, then take a short drive through town to one of four championship golf courses in Carson Valley to play nine holes. Drop in for a light mid-day lunch at The Clubhouse before heading up to the Nevada side of Heavenly Mountain Resort — in only 20 minutes! Ski the slopes while getting a birds-eye-view of the unique contrasts of Lake Tahoe on one side and the patchwork-quilt of Carson Valley on the other. You’ll delight in how the runs are perfectly lit with the soft afternoon sun.
After your snowy adventures, head back down the hill to enjoy a hearty meal at CV Steak. This Nevada-style steak house will surely satisfy your appetite and perfectly top off your legendary day. You’ll see why we think this pocket of Nevada has it all. Pro Tip: Don’t be afraid to switch it up. Repeat this day with a round of golf at Carson Valley Golf Course, Genoa Lakes Golf Club, Sunridge Golf and Recreations, or The Ranch Course at Genoa Lakes.
2. Unwind and Soak – These historic hot springs are tucked away against the scenic Sierra Nevada. David Walley’s Resort offers a relaxing dip in natural geothermal pools that will melt away your aches, and rejuvenate you for the evening ahead. Pro Tip: A paved trail leads from David Walley’s to Genoa. Walk into town and spend some time exploring Nevada’s Oldest Settlement.
3. Song and Taste– with Live Music at The Pink House! The Pink House in Genoa plays host to fantastic local performers in their parlor on December 5th from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Listen to live music while enjoying a wine and cheese tasting. This cozy winter event fills up fast, so reserve your spot ahead of time. Pro Tip: Can’t make it Dec. 5th? Still plan a meal at The Pink House during your trip to Carson Valley. Discover a fine selection of artisan products, and check out their seasonal menu for new tastes and treats.
4. Historic Holiday Home Treat – Home Ranch for the Holiday’s. A seasonal celebration showcasing a vintage toy exhibit, music and winter collection items, this event returns to Dangberg Home Ranch Historic Park from December 14th at 10 a.m. through December 15th at 4 p.m. Enjoy toys the Dangberg children played with back in the 1870’s-1890’s. See a Christmas tree decorated with the family’s original collection of ornaments, and explore the home, as additional holiday items are scattered throughout for your enjoyment. Treats and hot cider are provided. Pro Tip: Interested in events like this and more? You’re welcome to join us! Take a look at our packed December calendar.
5. Sip and Shop – Keeping it local, cozy up at DST coffee and order a one-of-a-kind warm drink topped with a foam design to get you ready for an afternoon of sightseeing in downtown Gardnerville. Lined with antique stores and boutiques, shopping here isn’t limited. This is the perfect time to find that specialty Carson Valley souvenir you’ve been hunting for. Pro Tip: You’ll find yourself going at a small-town pace as you mosey through stores. Give yourself the time to take it all in.
Eat, drink, and adventure where the warmth of winter can be felt in the smiles. Take advantage of the winter season with us, but don’t just take our word for it. Check it out for yourself, and share your journey by tagging your posts with #WhyCV.