8 Reasons Carson Valley is Your Next Getaway
Are you ready for some wide-open spaces?
Carson Valley offers plenty of activities to ensure you have a great summer! Whether you’re road trippin’ from out of state or heading out to #DiscoverYourNevada, the journey is just as beautiful as the destination. We’re thrilled to welcome you! Keep scrolling to get your imagination flowing for your journey to the wide open!
1. Water Play! Sure, Nevada is the driest state in the country, but that just means we treasure our aquatic gems more than most! Take a splash or drop your line in Topaz Lake or the “home of the trophy trout”. No fish stories here, just 25 miles of shoreline to explore and catch a good time. Of course, you can always take the short jaunt over to the iconic Lake Tahoe, where there is no shortage of water activities for adrenaline junkies and professional relaxers, alike. Just thirty minutes away, Lake Tahoe masters the art of fun in the sun! Carson Valley and surrounding area rivers are another great option for splish-splashing your summer days away. Come on out, there are great memories wading to be made!
2. Do like the Beatles said and come together! We don’t know about you, but we sure missed getting together in a non-virtual atmosphere (sorry, not sorry, Zoom). This summer, events are back, bigger, and better than ever! Nothing beats a fiery sunset over TJ’s Corral, where only the tunes rival the views. Or perhaps perusing booths of crisp produce and unique crafts at one of the weekly farmer’s market is more your style. Bring your best dance moves (come on, you had all last year to practice) to the Family Summer Concert series, put your pinkies up and do some wine walking, or experience the arts via guest speakers and workshops scheduled throughout the summer. Whatever you choose, we can’t wait to see you there!
3. Track down some fun on our motorized access trails. Whether you’re a beginner and don’t know why there are so many acronyms for ATV/OHV/UTV/MX (or is it just us?), or been kickin’ up dust for years, you’ll find exhilarating 4×4 tracks in and around Carson Valley. Spiderwebbing in all directions, it is easy to spend an entire day taking in the views and exploring different trails. And, let’s face it, who doesn’t need a little throttle therapy from time to time?
4. Enjoy a spectacular view while soaring the skies in an engineless glider. Did you know Carson Valley is one of the best places in the world for soaring? Seriously, records have been set here, and it’s the practice ground for the Perlan II mission. Learn more about high-flying here. Check out the details from SoaringNV and don’t forget your camera and, obviously, your sense of adventure!
5. If you would rather stick to the ground, hiking and biking are great ways to get out and experience the valley. Bonus: You’ll grab a workout before you even realize it! Carson Valley offers miles of well-developed trails. Where else can you hike to a waterfall and back before doing some quenching at Nevada’s Oldest Thirst Parlor? That promise alone might make the hike worthwhile. Discover over 54 miles of maintained trails here.
6. Go clubbin’! Golf clubbin’, that is. Carson Valley has four excellent golf courses that offer beautiful views of the Sierra Nevadas, well-maintained greens and that peaceful, easy feeling. With a view like that, you might not even care about that pesky little slice of yours! Finish your day on the fairway with the 19th (watering) hole for a trip you won’t soon fore-get.
If you prefer golf of the disc variety, we’ve got that too! There are two disc golf courses located in the Carson Valley; one located in the foothills of the Pine nut Mountain Range and another in the northern portion of the valley in Indian Hills. A third course can be found at Turtle Rock park, just twenty minutes down the road. From high desert to forest, there is something for everyone and best of all, it’s free!
7. Patio Dining! With great weather and a foodie’s patio dining dream, you won’t go hungry while visiting Carson Valley. Expanded patios are available at most restaurants during the summer. Some may have the company of local deer. Click here to get all the info on the dining scene in CV.
8. Visit the historic Dangberg Home Ranch! The ranch is now open for drop-in visitors Thursday-Sundays from 1-4pm and you can also come meander the scenic grounds during the daytime hours. The mountain backdrop and historic feel is not one to miss. Dangberg is also joining in the summer fun by hosting a Summer Festival to include several concerts, speakers, authors and other performances. Visit Dangberg Home Ranch Events to learn more.
Whatever form of adventure you seek, there’s plenty to do this summer in Carson Valley. Follow along on social media @CarsonValleyNevada, and check out more blog articles for insights. Come and see for yourself why Carson Valley (#WhyCV) is the best spot for your vacation this summer!